Recreation & Springbrook Programs
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we all have had to rethink how we live, work and play. The Recreation and Springbrook teams have been working creatively to safely offer new types of programs both in-person and at-home. This page lists all the Recreation and Springbrook programming for fall 2020.
If using a mobile device:
Pumpkin Pursuit in the Park
Know any park enthusiasts? Have any friends that can climb a tree or skip a rock? Maybe you just want a fun way to explore outside! Gather a team of up to 8 people to compete in this Fridley park system wide scavenger hunt this MEA weekend!
Cash prizes awarded to the top three teams!
Register online for this Springbrook Nature Center special event!
- Lawn of the year: It’s time to select the best of the best! Over the course of the summer a number of residents have been selected as winners of our Lawn of the Week program for their exceptional lawns and gardens. It’s time to select one Lawn of the Week to be the first ever Lawn of the Year!
- Adopt-A-Park: Are you looking to make a positive impact in the Fridley Community? Adopt a Fridley park!
- Rec ‘n Roll: Join us out in the parks this summer for outside of the box fun! Programs will be held at Commons Park and although free, pre-registration will be required to help us control group gathering size.
Preschool Activities – ages 3-5
- Fall Crafts: The changing seasons is a perfect time to make nature inspired art
- Painting: First learn the basics of painting, then we will paint with a variety of paints and techniques
Evening Preschool Sports – ages 3-5
- Parent/Child Basketball: This fun class is a great introduction to the sport of basketball!
- Parent/Child Soccer: This class was design to learn the basics of soccer, while having fun!
- Parent/Child Sports Sampler: Participants will have fun learning the basic fundamentals of a variety of sports!
Youth Activities - Gr. K-3
- Fall Crafts: The changing seasons is a perfect time to make nature inspired art!
- Painting First learn the basics of painting, then we will paint with a variety of paints and techniques.
Evening Youth Sports – Gr. K-3
- Soccer: Learn the basics of soccer!
- Sports Sampler: Every week a new sport will be introduced.
- Musketeers Fencing: This class teaches the fundamentals of fencing.
- Basketball: A fun class to get introduced to basketball.
Adult, Youth and Parent/Child
- Outdoor Painting Parties: No experience needed, just come out to park ready to kick back, enjoy yourself, and while engaging your creative side. Led by instructors from Cheers Pablo.
ROX: Recreation in a Box:
- Adult Bag Toss League: Grab a partner and play in our outdoor Bag Toss league. Games are best 2 out of 3 and are self-officiated. Teams are made up of 2 players of any gender combination.
- Pickleball Clinic:These clinics are to introduce and improve players’ skills while focusing on the fundamentals of the game. These clinics are for beginners and anyone in the community looking to improve their skills and get involved with a great sport.
- Zumba in the Park: Enjoy the beautiful fall weather, and party as we shake to the rhythms of Latin-infused music/dance with our instructor Lenka Seferovic!
All Ages Programming
Nature Out of the Box: With this new program, you can gather up your friends and family and go on your own nature adventures, with non-contact support from your friendly, neighborhood naturalists.
Purchase Nature Out of the Box and get all this:
- A Box filled with 4 nature adventures for the whole family, including the supplies you will need and some instructions for how to do each activity
- Access to online content by SNC Naturalists just for you
- Naturalist-curated supplies to enhance your time outdoors
- Tips and tricks for how to include everyone, from toddlers to grownups
The boxes will be available for pick up at the nature center building (daily 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.) from the 15th of each month through the end of the month. You MUST pay for your box in advance by the first of the month ($50) And if you are one of the first ten registrants, you will receive a BONUS item specially selected for this month’s adventures.
Outdoor Adventures: This private program series is for small family/friend groups consisting of no more than 9 people. There is no age limit for this program, but a parent/guardian must be in attendance for all registrants under the age of 18. Whether you are 5 for 50, we will create an adventure for your group. The program will be entirely outside and will begin at our picnic shelter.
Fees: $50, up to 9 people total, regardless of age. Availability: Monday - Saturday 10 am - 11:30 am and 2 pm - 3:30 pm.
Explore the topics and choose what is best for you! If you don’t see what you’re looking for, give us a call and we will help you build your own adventure!
- Survival: See if you have what it takes to build a shelter from scratch and start a fire without matches!
- Archery: Learn the basics of archery starting with what came before the modern bow.
- Pond Exploration: Learn about the wetlands of Springbrook from inside them! Whether you dip in a hand or jump in with both feet we’ll get an up-close view of our ponds and the creatures inside them.
- Insect Discovery: Dive into the secret world of insects within Springbrook’s Prairies. We’ll get up close to the diverse world of insects and how they color our landscapes.
- Build Your Own Adventure: If your interests don’t fit any of the adventures above, we’ll work with you to build an adventure that fits your interests.
Booking your program: Are you ready to get started with your Outdoor Adventure? Call the nature center at 763-572-3588 and book your program today! Time slots are limited, don’t wait.
Get Curious (available through August 2020): Find engaging and educational activities for curious kids and their grownups. These activities might start as a video, online presentation, or a set of instructions for you to try something cool at home.
Coloring Pages: Thanks to naturalist Emily, we are able to provide you with fun coloring pages inspired by the places and things you might find on a trip to Springbrook. Enjoy!